I do a few simple things to maintain my clothes, and by following these tips I have been able to maintain many items of clothing for long periods of time, sometimes years. However, if the fabric is poor quality from the outset, then there is not much you can do other than hope for the best 🙂
Here is what I do…
- Wash clothes on the gentle cycle and low spin, in the washing machine. Less stress on the clothes this way.
- Wash the garment on its right side, but dry the garment on the clothes line, inside out. This prevents the garment from fading.
- Iron the garment inside out. This prevents damage to the garment on its right side. I have saved so many garments by doing just this.
- Occassionally add a cap full of Bluo when washing a load of clothes. This helps to brighten the clothes.
- Soak whites and other stained garments in Napisan for about 20-30min max in the washing machine before a gentle wash. For bed linen, tea towels and more hardy items, I usually soak for about 1 hour before washing in a more heavy duty cycle.
What tips do you know of that you can share?